Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Playing it safe for the holidays

You hear it said, Most accidents happen near home. It's true.

I used to scoff at that remark. It can't happen to me. I've live here for going on 43 years. I know the people on my street. I'm a careful driver and above all I wear my seatbelt. Yep, all good thoughts until late Saturday afternoon.

As usual during the season, the girls in our writing group get together at a friends house for lunch and exchange gifts. So it was that I went and on the way home, the unthinkable happened. I was driving along and I noticed a car pulling to the end of its drive way. It paused. I don't know if it was a sixth sense or just that I haven't encountered too many people coming out of those driveways. I remember taking my foot off the gas and holding my breath.

I've never been in anything as horrible. I've experienced my father dying in my arms, holding my mother's hand as she went to join him. But this is more a nightmare. I know I will recover. I know that had I not been wearing my safety belt, I would surely have joined the number of red lights on the holiday safety tree. I can not thank the emergency personal enough. Those first responders must treat injuries as well as hand hold. Let me not forget the good Samaritans who came out of their houses to comfort both of us until help could arrive.

So, today, I play your mother. Do not get in a car without buckling up. Click it for Life. Think of it as a hug from your family that will allow you to arrive at your destination safe and secure, then return home the same way. BUCKLE UP and Happy Holidays.

1 comment:

Kaye Manro said...

OMG Nancy! Are you all right??

So so sorry. I had no idea. I hope all is well or getting that way. My thoughts are with you as you heal.

Little fun about Soap

  I know we are trying to work our way out of a pandemic, and about to go stir crazy, but let's have a laugh at what we've had to ...