Friday, October 22, 2010

I'm working on a new character...

I'm finishing up one book and now thinking about the hero in my new novel. He won't be a lawman, this time my hero is a rancher. A good man, good son, and brother but I need things more than just "good". So I pull out some of my little tricks from working with children and writing. I put in the picture and start writing around it what comes to mind when I think of this gentleman.

I use single words first....



CONFIDENT
CAUTIOUS
DANGEROUSLY HANDSOME
STRONG
EXPERT
SWEET
TRUSTWORTHY
TALL
MALE
LEADER
BROAD SHOULDERED

Then short phrases

"Not a big talker, saves his breath for breathing"
"Complaining is what quitters do"
"A cowboy is always worth his salt"
"Be a man and give your enemy a fighting chance"
"A cowboy is loyal to his 'brand' his friends, his woman"
"His word is his bond"

Once I know his make up I can work on physical descriptions. I also remember that this is a on going project things can always be added to flesh out his true identity. So this is my goal today to get Shawn McCormick fleshed out. He's got big boots to fill, Tisha Ross is counting on it.

No comments:

Little fun about Soap

  I know we are trying to work our way out of a pandemic, and about to go stir crazy, but let's have a laugh at what we've had to ...