Monday, January 4, 2010

Welcome to 2010

Whether you say twenty ten or two thousand ten, its the start of the second decade in a new century. WOW makes you feel old huh.?

It just serves as a reminder that words are important and the placing of words in some semblance of order requires thought. Think about the speeches we've heard in the past.

Abraham Lincoln :
"Four score and seven years ago, our fore fathers brought forth on this continent an new nation conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all me are created equal."

What if he had said,
Eighty seven years ago Washington and other leaders established this nation based on the idea of liberty and freedom for all men.

Doesn't have the same ring does it?

Or great works of literature..

Shakespeare:
" To be or not to be... that is the question."

Now days in our vernacular we might say... "Yo, what it is? my bad."

I'm sure he just rolled in his grave.

As we writers do take the noun and use it as a verb and write, let us remember to tweak our written word to bring out the best mileage on an idea. Use the dictionary and the thesaurus to breath life into compositions. Just because its done, doesn't mean its finished.

Writing requires action! Do it daily, do it often, but as always just do it - write.

Nancy O'Berry

1 comment:

Paige Ryter said...

You're so right...write often and use words that work. I need to do that more often. If I could write as well as these two guys you mentioned, it would amaze me.

Thanks for reminding me of the change in writing! It might motivate me to use better words for my writing!

Little fun about Soap

  I know we are trying to work our way out of a pandemic, and about to go stir crazy, but let's have a laugh at what we've had to ...